Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Engagment!

11. The Engagement! 

The next weekend after Christmas, I was going to go back down to Provo to say goodbye to the Facers before they went back to Texas. The Thursday of that week however, we had planned for Garrett's parents to come up to Bountiful and have dinner with my parents! I was really excited and a little nervous for how all that was going to go. After getting ready along with parents, we headed down to Pizza Pie Cafe in Bountiful where Garrett and his parents were going to meet us.

When we got there we waited for a few minutes and I could tell my parents were a little anxious. Haha, I think I remember them looking at each other and asking one another, "Can you believe this is happening?" Garrett came in first looking all fine in his nice jeans and button up shirt. And his cologne.... Thank you to the past girlfriend who got it for him! It's amazing and whenever I hug Garrett, I linger longer than necessary just smelling him! I went up to hug him and noticed that his eyes were a little blood-shot and I knew he was fighting the long week he had had roofing. He said hi to my parents and just a few seconds later his parents came in. Everyone was happy to finally meet one another after hearing about each other. I stood there looking at both sets of parents and had one of those Is this really happening? moments. I was introducing my parents to the parents of the guy I wanted to marry... Whoa.

We made our way to our table and after chatting a little bit, went to go get our pizza. It was kind of funny, for the most part Garrett and I had that time to ourselves! Our parents talked with one another and we sat across from each other talking between ourselves. It was a really good dinner/meet and greet. It was really good for my parents to learn more about Garrett from his parents perspectives rather than just mine, also. Even though since Thanksgiving we'd made trips up to Bountiful, truth be told, my parents didn't know Garrett very well. Try as I might to tell them more about Garrett and all of his wonderful-ness, my opinion could be taken as slightly biased on account of mine being in love with him! So having my parents learn more about him from his parents was a very good thing. I could feel my parents anxiety lessen throughout the night and I could tell from their reactions after the dinner that they were very happy to meet Garrett's parents. 

We were at the restaurant for quite a while! We left right before closing and said goodbye to my parents and put my things in the Facer's suburban. Because Angie and Hansen's flight hadn't come in yet (The reason why the Facer's were able to come up to Bountiful was because they were picking up Angie and Hansen at the airport from their vacation to Maine) we drove around Bountiful and I was able to show them some of the neighborhoods as well my own house. Just as we were about to head to the airport however, we saw that Hansen and Angie's flight had been delayed. We went over to Garrett's Aunt Shannon's house to visit them and wait till we needed to go to SLC. I love Garrett's Aunt Shannon! She's so spunky and fun to talk to. A couple of her kids were there at the house too and we had a really good time talking with them too. I was beginning to get the hang of meeting new members of Garrett's family and tried to commit their names/faces to memory. It was funny to sit there as the Facer's caught up with one another and to try and recognize the names I heard and put it all together. I just smiled and was really happy to talk about rugby and lacrosse with Garrett and his cousin, Brad. 
When the time came that we needed to head out, we said our goodbyes and got the suburban out of the drive way without sliding very much on the ice! at the airport, we had to maneuver my snowboard and bag to fit Hansen and Angie's luggage. Garrett and I moved into the back seat. I was pretty excited for the privacy we'd have! Nothing happened... Haha, we actually just ended up dozing and I played with Garrett's hair when he fell asleep on me. I looked at the clock and, noticing how late it already was, I hoped that Garrett would sleep as much as possible in the car and then get right to bed when we got to Provo. He had to work early the next morning. 

Grandma and Grandpa Facer's house was very full! I don't remember the reason why, but that night I was going to sleep in Garrett's cousin Mitch's room. I love Mitch and think he's an awesome person, but I felt a little weird sleeping in his room... It was the only single room and it was still pretty full of his things. Haha, he's a Chemistry major so on his wall he has  periodic table of elements. As I was going to sleep I went through the rows and named each of them... Like counting sheep! I was actually pretty tuckered out and didn't even remember Garrett coming in giving me a kiss and leaving for work. I think I remember his dad coming in to see if I was up and ready to go snowboarding. But nope! I was out! I finally woke up when Angie came in and sat on the bed with me and we just talked. A sign of being best friends with someone is talking in bed in your PJs, no bra, and feeling totally fine with it! After a little bit, Andelyn heard us talking and came in too. The room got a little cramped so I decided I should probably get decent and then we could hang out in the living room. We laid on Andelyn's air mattress and just chatted. It was really fun and again I felt that this is my family feeling. I don't quite remember what we did that afternoon... but we did something and hung out until we needed to get ready to go up to Garrett's Uncle Keith's house in Farmington for a family Christmas party!

The plan was to stop in Pleasant Grove and pick up Garrett at his work and then head up to Farmington. Even though it was freezing outside and he may not have gotten very sweaty, Garrett still needed to shower before seeing the rest of his family at the party. I was so excited to be in charge of getting a change of clothes for him to wear! I had a momentary thought of picking out an outfit that I know he'd think was silly but then picked out one of my favorites instead. I made sure to pack his cologne in his shower bag too. I felt like such a "wife" getting all of his things together and noticing the fact that I indeed knew where he kept everything in his room. The only mistake I made however was picking out the wrong garment top to go with the slightly V-neck shirt I brought for him. He still looked very handsome! 

We played car games the whole way up to Farmington. I don't know what the name of it is, but the car game where you have to name different things in order of the alphabet and then remember each thing that everyone says and think of a new thing on your turn... Anyways, that's the one we played on the ride! I had never played it before so, of course, I focused really hard and was my competitive self inside. It made the ride go by very quickly! Besides having a little bit of a hard time finding the right road to get to the house, we had a smooth ride. 

The Christmas party was really fun! It was a really good refresher of names/faces that I hadn't seen since Thanksgiving. We had a really yummy dinner and lots of fun conversations. I felt very much at home and a part of the family. The only kicker was... when was I actually going to be a REAL apart of the family? When was I going to get that ring? 

Truth be told, I had been expecting pretty much any moment to be the one where Garrett would pop the question. Whenever we were alone I was sooo ready for him to go on one knee and surprise me. I had also left the ring choice up to him. My dream had always been to have the guy pick out the engagement ring all on their own and of course, if he was the right guy, he would pick a ring that was perfect for me! We'd looked at a lot of different ones and I had noticed that our tastes were very much the same. I was confident that I would love any ring that he got me. 

On our way back from the party Garrett and I sat in the back with Andelynn and played the alphabet-memorization game again with the rest of the fam. At one point Cannon had put on a Ring-Pop and turned around to show it to us. Right as he did that I saw Garrett's face lighten up a little bit. I tensed.... for a while we'd joked about Garrett proposing to me with a candy ring as a place filled until he had the money to buy me a real ring later. I looked at him very carefully to try and see what he was thinking. A couple seconds later he asked, "Hey, when does Macey's close?" I looked at Andelyn and I could tell that she was on the same page. Garrett had gotten his phone out and was looking something up and not letting me see what was on the screen. Suspicious... holy cow, is he going to propose to me tonight?! But it was really late and he was still really tired after work. Hmm... maybe not tonight... But then WHEN?! We still had quite a while till we were in Provo, so most of the car started to doze off. I was still out of it when we got to Pleasant Grove so Garrett could get his car. 

We pulled up beside Garrett's car and I started to get out of the car with Garrett. "No, you stay in the car. You can't come with me." I looked at Garrett with a very confused face. "No, It's OK, I can come.I want to come with you. Wait.. Why can't I come?" I was still sleepy so I wasn't getting the hint that Garrett had something he wanted to do without me with him. I finally got the point after he told me again that I couldn't go with him but he was trying to hide a smile on his face. I immediately thought in my head Oh... well I sure am going to stay in the car!! Go Garrett go! I sat down next to Andelyn again and we excitedly talked about what Garrett could possibly be doing that I couldn't come with him.

Garrett got home a little bit after the rest of us did and I looked at him very closely... He didn't seem like anything was out of the norm at all! He wasn't nervous.. He didn't act weird around me... I was disappointed thinking that maybe I had gotten excited for nothing! He came in and hung out with Andelyn and I. We left Andelyn alone so she could talk with her boyfriend on the phone (so Garrett didn't stay and tease her more about it! Oh big brothers...:) I went in with Garrett to help him clean his room. I was picking up the sweater he had been wearing that night from his bed when realized he had left some things in the pockets. Garrett had had the problem of not being able to find his keys, wallet or chapstick and then finding them in pockets, so I put my hand in the pocket to pull whatever one of those things was in there. My closed on a plastic wrapped package and immediately the image of a ring-pop was in my head... I caught my breath and and look at my hand in the pocket with wide eyes and a big smile. I turned around without taking my hand out of the pocket and asked Garrett, "Hey Garrett... What's this?" Well he hadn't shown any out of the norm emotion until then! He immediately jumped over and told me to take my hand out of the pocket. He asked if I had looked at what was in the pocket. I laughed a little bit and said that I hadn't, I promised. After that he quickly thanked me for helping him and ushered me out of the room. He told me goodnight and gave me a kiss and I can't remember exactly what he said...But it was something hinting about having a good sleep... I got in my room with Andelyn and I got in my bed. Psh, I wasn't go to sleep anytime soon! 

I don't know when, but eventually I fell asleep. Garrett had a hard time waking me up when he came in early in the morning to wake me up. I woke up and cracked my eyes to look at him and wondered why he wanted me to get out of bed. At first I didn't want to on account of having been really comfortable but then... I didn't want to get out of bed because I had totally forgotten I hadn't worn a bra to sleep ... Ooops! I was panicking inside trying to find a way that somehow I could hide that fact or get one on really fast. But as soon as I started getting out of bed with Garrett holding my hand, I realized I wouldn't get the chance to put one on. I did the "puff out your shirt and hope that no one notices move" on my sweater. Oh goodness... But my worry about that lasted just as long as it took me to smell bacon, eggs and sausages. I snapped out of being tired and started smiling hugely. Garrett put his hands over my eyes and walked me into his room down the hall. The yummy smells of breakfast got stronger and then Garrett sat me down on the couch in his room that I knew had a little coffee table in front of it. Garrett took his hands off my eyes and I looked at him and I immediately hugged him. I could feel that he was shaking a little bit and could feel him laughing  when he said, "Aren't you going to look at what I made?" I let go and because of how the couch sits lower than the table a little, I saw the bright red and yellow Ring-Pop as soon as I looked at my plate. I put my hands over my mouth and Garrett got down on one knee and asked me if I would marry him. I looked at him with his eyes that were glistening and his love for me written all over his face. I most definitely said yes! The crazy thing was though that I didn't cry when he got down on his knee! My whole life I thought that I would be the kind of girl to cry as soon as she realized she was getting proposed to. But I was surprisingly calm. I felt so full of happiness and content. I did tear up  when he asked me to marry him and when he put on our song afterwards when we were hugging each other. The thing I will remember the very most about the whole morning though was when Garrett asked me, "So are you going to take the ring off that sausage and put it on yours?" To explain... I kind of have thicker fingers than I would like and had quite often been told by my family, in the most loving manner, I have "sausage fingers". I laughed hard when Garrett asked me that question and he slid the greasy ring onto my ring finger. I couldn't have been happier with his ring selection:) He had actually gone the extra mile and had gotten the Rasberry Lemonade flavor of Ring-Pop, the same flavor as a pair of chapstick we had bought together. We sat on his couch hugging and just loving each other while we drank out of the miniature Martenellis bottles that Garrett had pulled out. I was in Heaven. This boy whom I had been loving almost from the first moment that I met him had asked me to be his wife. 

We ate the delicious breakfast he made, still holding hands, and then when we went up stairs to take our dishes, Garrett's parents were up there getting ready for the day too. Garrett had gone down stairs but I went to his dad and showed him my ring and just smiled, still a little teary. He smiled back and gave me a big hug. I went to show his mom who I caught doing her make up but she put her things down immediately and gave me a hug too. I saw Grandma in the hallway and she too gave me a big hug. I told them a little bit of what happened but hurried so I could get back down to Garrett. We hadn't realized what time it was and we had bought tickets to go see Les Miserables that day with the family. We hurried to get ready and we told everyone what happened. Both of us got happy hugs from his other siblings and when Angie and Hansen came over, Angie and I freaked out together. We were finally going to be sisters for real!! The movie was very good, though really long! Afterwards we had a great rest of the evening. 

I think it was Sunday evening when Garrett and I were going to go back up to Bountiful to spend New Years with my parents. Well... How was I going to tell them I was engaged now? And Garrett hadn't been able to ask my dad officially for my hand yet... January started out with quite a bang! 

No comments:

Post a Comment